This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Serum levels of monoamine oxidase were determined in 119 adults with acute and chronic liver disease. Elevated enzyme levels were found in patients with Laennec's cirrhosis, postnecrotic cirrhosis, and massive neoplastic replacement of the liver, but not during the acute phases of hepatitis or extrahepatic biliary obstruction. The increased enzyme activity could not be ascribed to hepatocellular necrosis or dysfunction. Positive correlations were found between increased enzyme activity and signs of portal hypertension and portal-systemic collateral circulation. Increased enzyme activity was most closely associated with hepatic fibrosis and “sinusoidal” hypertension.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- An amine oxidase in normal human serum.J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 1963; 62: 766
- Human plasma monoamine oxidase. I. Purification and identification.J. Biol. Chem. 1965; 240: 2003
- Abnormalities of serum monoamine oxidase in chronic congestive heart failure.J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 1965; 65: 546
- Factors in the treatment of Laennec's cirrhosis. I. Clinical and histological changes observed during a control period of bed-rest, alcohol withdrawal, and a minimal basic diet.J. Clin. Invest. 1949; 28: 723
- Practical and research value of hepatic vein catheterization.New England J. Med. 1958; 258: 696
- Hepatic hemodynamics and portal hypertension.in: ed. 5. Progress in liver diseases. Vol. 2. Grune & Stratton, Inc, New York1965: 457
- The ammonia tolerance test: An index of portal hypertension.Gastroenterology. 1965; 49: 539
- The measurement of ammonia in whole blood, erthrocytes, and plasma.J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 1957; 49: 962
- Ammonia tolerance as an index of portal-systemic collateral circulation in cirrhosis.Gastroenterology. 1961; 41: 97
- Studies of the blood ammonia in liver disease.Ann. Med. 1963; 58: 1
- The part played by oxidation in the synthesis and breakdown of connective tissue.J. Soc. Leather Trades' Chemists. 1965; 49: 41
- The nature and location of intramolecular cross-links in collagen.in: ed. 5. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sc. 55. 1966: 417
- The nature of the intramolecular cross-links in collagen, the separation and characterization of peptides from the cross-link region of rat skin collagen.Biochemistry. 1966; 5: 3460
- Effect of copper deficiency and inhibitors on the amine oxidase activity of chick tissues.in: ed. 5. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 123. 1966: 250
- The interrelationship of dietary copper and amine oxidase in the formation of elastin.Biochem. & Biophys. Res. Comm. 1966; 24: 395
- Pharmacol. Rev. 18. 1966: 39 Introductory remarks to the second symposium on catecholamines. ed. 5.
- Interaction of the lathyrogen beta-aminopropionitrile (BAPN) with a copper-containing amine oxidase.in: ed. 5. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 124. 1967: 454
Accepted: February 18, 1967
Received: December 27, 1966
☆The opinions contained herein are those of the authors and are not to be construed as official nor as reflecting the views of the United States Public Health Service or of the United States Navy.
© 1967 Published by Elsevier Inc.