This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The laboratory and clinical investigation of a patient with marked hypercupremia and multiple myeloma is described. The majority of the copper was found to be associated with the IgG myeloma protein. This IgG myeloma protein showed normal immunological reactivity, no significant abnormality in amino acid composition, and no gross increase in copper-binding capacity. Penicillamine therapy did not produce a statistically significant increase in urinary copper excretion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Stanbury J.B. Wyngaarden J.B. Fredricksen D.S. The metabolic basis of inherited disease. McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc, New York1966
- Serum copper, serum iron, and total iron-binding capacity of serum in acute and chronic infections.Acta. med. scandinav. 1953; 145: 315
- Studies on copper metabolism. VII. Blood copper in pregnancy and various pathological states.J. Clin. Invest. 1953; 32: 329
- Serum ceruloplasmin: Observations in patients with cancer, obstructive jaundice, and other diseases.Gastroenterology. 1962; 43: 266
- Spectrophotometric determination of serum copper with oxalyldihydrazide.J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 1960; 55: 325
- Clinical chemistry principles & technics.in: Paul B. Hoeber, Inc. Medical Book Dept. of Harper & Row, Publishers, New York1964: 398
- Studies on copper metabolism. I. Method for the determination of copper in whole blood, red blood cells, and plasma.J. Biol. Chem. 1952; 196: 209
- Rapid test for hepatolenticular degeneration.Lancet. 1956; 1: 726
- An improved colorimetric enzymatic assay of ceruloplasmin.J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 1961; 58: 161
- Human gamma globulin fractionation on anion exchange cellulose columns.J. Biol. Chem. 1959; 234: 2645
- Quantitative measurement of human gamma-2, beta-2A, and beta-2M serum immunoglobulins.J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 1964; 64: 685
Rodgerson, D. O., and Kauffman, J.: Unpublished observations.
- Clinical chemistry principles & Technics.in: Paul B. Hoeber, Inc. Medical Book Dept. of Harper & Row, Publishers, New York1964: 402
- Model studies on the binding of univalent and redox-active copper in proteins.in: Peisach J. Aisen P. Blumberg W.E. The biochemistry of copper. Academic Press, Inc, New York1966: 15
Accepted: February 24, 1967
Received: October 24, 1966
☆Supported by United States Public Health Service Grants H.D. 108-01, F.R. -69, and F.R. -51.
© 1967 Published by Elsevier Inc.