This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Biochemical and histological changes characteristic of rickets were produced in puppies fed two low-calcium diets, both deficient in vitamin D. Three criteria of surfaces undergoing bone formation—lamellae of bone of low density running parallel to a smooth surface seen microradiographically, high concentration of tetracycline labeling, and surfaces covered by osteoid—appear to be correlated in normal animals; this correlation was lost in the rachitic puppies. In the rachitic puppies the osteoid borders were wider and the amount of new tissue deposited (bone formation) during the test period was reduced. Internal surface of bone covered with osteoid may not be susceptible to resorption. This hypothesis was supported by the persistence of old periosteal bone and the decrease in number of secondary osteons.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A Comparison of different morphologic methods of determining bone formation.Clin. Orthop. 1965; 40: 7
- Effects of hyperthyroidism on bone and mineral metabolism in man.Quart. J. Med. 1967; 36: 1
- The demonstration of osteoid by microradiography in two patients with osteosclerosis.S. Clin. North America. 1961; 41: 1087
- Quantitative microradiographic studies of normal and osteoporotic bone.J. Bone & Joint Surg. 1965; 47: 785
- Quantitative microradiographic studies of normal and osteoporotic bone.J. Bone & Joint Surg. 1965; 47: 872
- Determination of growth rates in canine bone by means of tetracycline-labeled patterns.Lab. Invest. 1962; 11: 714
- Resistant osteomalacia: Studies with tetracycline bone labeling and metabolic balance.Am. J. Med. 1965; 38: 134
- Measurement of bone formation rate in a case of familial hypophosphatemic vitamin D-resistant rickets.J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 1966; 67: 973
- Tetracycline-based studies of bone dynamics in rib of 6 cases of osteomalacia.Clin. Orthop. 1966; 46: 219
- Skeletal dynamics in vitamin D resistant rickets.in: Pearson O.H. Joplin G.F. Dynamic studies of metabolic bone disease. F. A. Davis Company, Philadelphia1964: 163-180
- The rate of calcium turnover in bone: Measurement by a tracer test using stable strontium.Quart. J. Med. 1960; 29: 85
- Bone salt metabolism in human rickets studied with radioactive phosphorus.Metabolism. 1956; 5: 573
- Atypical osteomalacia involving the axial skeleton.Ann. Int. Med. 1961; 55: 632
- Diseases of bone.in: Harrison C.V. Recent advances in pathology. ed. 7. Little, Brown & Company, Boston1960: 293-338
- Biophysical studies of the bone tissue of dogs with experimental rickets.Arch. Path. 1955; 59: 321
- Biophysical studies of hard tissues in experimental rachitis.Acta path. et microbiol. scandinav. 1961; 51: 59
- Biophysical studies of epiphyseal growth zones and adjacent compact bone tissue in normal and rachitic dogs and rats.Acta Soc. med. upsal. 1961; 66: 202
- Some observations on calcifying cartilage matrix.Arch. Path. 1956; 61: 219
- Experimental rickets: Blood and tissue changes in puppies receiving a diet very low in phosphorus, with and without vitamin D.Arch. Path. 1941; 32: 387
- Nutrient requirements for dogs.Publication 300. 1953;
- The effect of organic dietary constituents upon chronic fluorine toxicosis in the rat.J. Biol. Chem. 1935; 109: 657
- Complexometric titration of calcium and magnesium by a semiautoniated procedure.Clin. Chem. 1964; 10: 767
- A modification of the colorimetric phosphorus determination for use with the photoelectric colorimeter.J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 1942; 27: 955
- A convenient method for determining serum and bile phosphatase activity.Canad. M. A. J. 1934; 31: 376
- The use of the milling machine for preparing bone sections for microradiography and microautoradiography.J. Sc. Instruments. 1955; 32: 159
- Ultrastructure of bone: Technic of microradiography and its possible application to the study of bone.in: Proc. Staff Meet. Mayo Clin. 32. 1957: 687
- A method for correlative analysis of microradiogram and tetracycline fluorophore of puppy's bone.in: Proc. Staff Meet. Mayo Clin. 37. 1962: 229
- Development and healing of rickets in intramembranous bone.Acta med. scandinav. 1955; 152: 1
Accepted: March 6, 1967
Received: December 12, 1966
☆Supported in part by Research Grant AM-8658 from the National Institutes of Health, United States Public Health Service.
© 1967 Published by Elsevier Inc.