This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Plasma erythropoietin (ESF) activity was determined in anephric, renal allotransplanted, unilateral nephrectomized, and intact human beings before and after androgen treatment. Increased ESF activity shown in anephric patients before and after androgen treatment provides further evidence that extrarenal site or sites for ESF are present in man. Four out of 7 plasma specimens obtained from anephric patients showed significant ESF activity after androgen injection. These results suggest that the site or sites for extrarenal ESF in the man, like the renal site, are responsive to exogenous testosterone administration. A patient with an allograft kidney also demonstrated a very marked increase in ESF activity in response to androgen treatment and following an episode of bleeding. The androgen-erythropoietin response in male patients with postunilateral nephrectomy for kidney carcinoma was similar to that seen in anephric human beings following androgen treatment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mechanism of testosterone action in erythropoiesis.Nature. 1965; 206: 270
- Erythropoietic effect of plasma from mice receiving testosterone.Nature. 1965; 206: 1160
- Effects of testosterone on renal hemodynamics and erythropoietin release in dogs.Invest. Urol. 1966; 4: 203
- Androgen actions on erythropoiesis.Ann. New York Acad. Sc. 1968; 149: 318
- The erythropoietin-stimulating effects of androgens.Ann. New York Acad. Sc. 1968; 149: 356
- Studies on erythropoietin in tamarins.Invest. Urol. 1965; 2: 579
- Erythropoietin release in baboons after renal allotransplantation.in: ed. 4. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 128. 1968: 785
- Renal and extrarenal relations to erythropoietin production in animals and man.South African M. J. 1968; 42: 462
- Extrarenal production of erythropoietin in man.Acta haemat. 1968; 39: 359
- Erythropoiesis, in anephric man.Lancet. 1968; 1: 941
- Extrarenal erythropoietin production in the baboon.in: Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 1968 (In press)
- Presence of plasma erythropoietin in hypoxic rats with or without kidney(s) and/or spleen.in: ed. 4. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 96. 1957: 49
- Current studies on the role of erythropoietin in erythropoiesis.Ann. New York Acad. Sc. 1959; 77: 677
- Correlation of renal metabolism with erythropoietin release in hypertensive dogs with renal artery stenosis.Invest. Urol. 1967; 4: 372
- Production of the circulating erythropoietic factor in hypoxic endocrine-deficient rats.in: ed. 4. Proceedings of the VII Congress of the International Society of Hematology. vol. 2. Grune & Stratton, Inc, New York1958: 627 (Part 1)
- Erythropoietin production in uremic rabbits.J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 1961; 57: 281
- Le rein et la production de l'erythropoietine.J. Physiol. 1962; 54: 441
- The role of vasoconstriction in the ischemia of renal allograft rejection.Transplantation. 1968; 6: 59
- Erythropoietin inhibitor in kidney extracts and plasma from anemic uremic human subjects.Blood. 1968; 31: 440
- Erythropoiesis in anephric man.J. Clin. Invest. 1964; 43: 2158
- Erythropoietic response to repeated hemorrhage in renal allotransplanted, nephrectomized or intact dogs.Life Sc. 1968; 7: 689
- Virus-induced polycythemia in mice: Erythropoiesis without erythropoietin.in: ed. 4. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 128. 1968: 844
Accepted: October 4, 1968
Received: July 13, 1968
☆These studies were supported in part by United States Public Health Service Grants CA-08847 and CA-07745, the John A. Hartford Foundation, Inc., the University of Stellenbosch, the Cape Provincial Administration, and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research.
© 1969 Published by Elsevier Inc.