This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The presence of an inhibitor of hemoglobin synthesis has been detected in rat plasma and serum. The inhibitor decreased the uptake of 59Fe and incorporation of glycine-2-14C into rat reticulocytes harvested from phenylhydrazine-treated rats. The inhibition was dose related above plasma volumes of 0.5 ml., the inhibitor activity being threefold greater in serum from animals with phenylhydrazine-induced anemia than that in normal serum. The factor was nondialyzable, was precipitated with concentrations of ammonium sulfate above 40 per cent, and was extractable into butanone-2. The inhibition was shown not to be due to heme.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Iron uptake and heme synthesis in rat reticulocytes.Helv. Med. Acta. 1968; 34: 416
- Regulation of iron entry into reticulocytes. I. Feedback inhibitory effect of heme on iron entry into reticulocytes and on heme synthesis.Blood. 1969; 33: 690
- Transfer of iron from serum iron-binding protein to human reticulocytes.J. Clin. Invest. 1959; 38: 161
- Study on erythropoietic factor in plasma. Effects of human plasma on the in vitro biosynthesis of heme by avian erythrocytes.Acta Haemat. 1961; 26: 209
- A simplified method of sample preparation for determination of tritium, carbon-14, or sulfur-35 in blood or tissue by liquid scintillation counting.Anal. Biochem. 1966; 16: 500
- A specific method for the analysis of hydroxyproline in tissues and urine.Anal. Biochem. 1960; 1: 228
- A study of the interdependence of red cell and bone marrow stem cell populations.Brit. J. Haemat. 1968; 15: 23
- Mechanisms of hemolysis in iron deficiency anemia. Further studies.Blood. 1968; 32: 884
- The inhibitory effect of plasma from hypertransfused animals on erythrocyte iron incorporation in mice.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1965; 66: 641
- Separation and characterization of inhibitor activity in plasma from hypertransfused sheep.in: XII Congr. Int. Soc. Hemat. (Abst.), New York1968
- A protein inhibitor of erythropoiesis.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1969; 74: 608
- Inactivation of erythropoietin by tissue homogenates.in: Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 129. 1968: 845
- Separation of a renal inhibitor to human erythropoietin.in: Fed. Proc. 29. 1970: 628 (Abst.)
Accepted: July 8, 1970
Received: April 21, 1970
☆This investigation was supported by Contract PH43-65-6, General Laboratories and Clinics, National Cancer Institute, United States Public Health Service.
© 1970 Published by Elsevier Inc.