This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
An accurate and reproducible procedure is described for the determination of testosterone from male plasma with the use of competitive protein binding. One milliliter of plasma is required to satisfactorily measure testosterone in plasma from normal orchiectomized men. The mean recovery of testosterone in approximately 300 samples was 60 ± 10 per cent (S.D.). The mean plasma testosterone level in 50 normal men was 5.6 ± 2.3 mμg per milliliter (S.D.). In 30 patients with carcinoma of the prostate, the mean was 7.9 ± 2.2 mμg per milliliter (S.D.) which decreased to 0.6 mμg per milliliter after orchiectomy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Plasma ketosteroids and testosterone in man: A study of the pituitary-testicular axis.J. Clin. Invest. 1965; 44: 657
- Plasma testosterone and urinary 17-ketosteroids in Japanese and occidentals.J. Clin. Endocr. 1966; 26: 610
- Determination of testosterone in human peripheral blood using gas-liquid chromatography with electron capture detection.J. Clin. Endocr. 1964; 24: 1091
- Testosterone in human plasma.Anal. Biochem. 1963; 5: 416
- Application of the property of protein-binding to the assay of minute quantities of hormones and other substances.Nature (London). 1964; 201: 679
- The measurement of plasma testosterone by competitive protein-binding assay.Steroids. 1969; 13: 495
- A simple efficient liquid scintillation for counting aqueous solutions in a liquid scintillation counter.Anal. Biochem. 1960; 1: 279
- Determination of testosterone and androst-4-ene-3, 17-dione concentration in human plasma.Steroids. 1966; 7: 103
- Determination of testosterone, androstenedione, and dehydroepiandrosterone in human plasma using bromine-82.Steroids. 1967; 10: 15
- Determination of plasma testosterone by the use of competitive protein binding.J. Clin. Endocr. 1968; 28: 1169
- A rapid method for the estimation of testosterone in male plasma.Steroids. 1967; 10: 245
- A sensitive testosterone assay by protein binding.Steroids. 1968; 12: 241
Accepted: July 9, 1970
Received: February 16, 1970
☆This work was supported by United States Public Health Service Grant CA 06462.
© 1970 Published by Elsevier Inc.