This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The concentrations and renal clearances of 13 plasma proteins were measured in 5 patients with diseases which affect the renal tubules. Two patients with Fanconi syndrome were each studied once. Two patients with tubular necrosis and one with both tubular necrosis and intravascular coagulation were investigated, both in the early diuretic phase, and after the return of renal function to normal. There was a lack of any consistent relationship between the molecular weight of an individual protein and its relative clearance, and individual proteins of similar molecular weight appeared to be handled differently by the kidney. The urines were also analyzed by Sephadex G-75 gel filtration. Five elution peaks were obtained; the most prominent peaks were the albumin and 50,000 molecular weight peaks which contained approximately equal amounts of protein. With the exception of one urine, there was little evidence that the 50,000 molecular weight peak contained fragments of larger molecules. The character of the proteinuria in these patients differs from that described in health, after exercise, and in patients with diseases affecting the glomeruli.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Health hazards in the manufacture of alkaline accumulators with special reference to chronic cadmium poisoning.Acta Med Scand. 1950; 138: 1-124
- The urinary proteins.in: Molecular biology of human proteins. Elsevier Publishing Co, Amsterdam1966: 695-699
- Tubular proteinuria: biochemical assay.in: Manuel Y Proteins in normal and pathological urine. University Park Press, Baltimore1970: 172-187
- The proteinuria of renal tubular disorders.Lancet. 1958; 2: 978-980
- Low molecular weight urine proteins investigated by gel filtration.Clin Chim Acta. 1966; 14: 679-688
- Low molecular weight proteinuria in chronic renal disease.Clin Sci. 1967; 33: 381-390
- Studies on tubular proteinuria.Clin Chim Acta. 1968; 19: 107-120
- The characterization of urine protein by gel filtration.Clin Chim Acta. 1968; 21: 357-376
- An ultracentrifuge study of urine proteins with particular reference to the proteinuria of renal tubular disorders.Clin Chim Acta. 1963; 8: 406-414
- The origin of the proteins excreted in tubular proteinuria.Clin Chim Acta. 1968; 21: 377-399
- Differentiation of glomerular, tubular and normal proteinuria: Determinations of urinary excretion of β2 microglobulin, albumin and total protein.J Clin Invest. 1969; 48: 1189-1198
- Renal clearance of 15 plasma proteins in renal disease.J Lab Clin Med. 1970; 75: 297-306
- Urinary lysozyme, ribonuclease and low-molecular weight protein in renal disease.Lancet. 1968; I: 371-375
- Unselective proteinuria in acute ischaemic renal failure.Clin Sci. 1966; 30: 91-102
- Serum proteins in urine: Examination of a new method for concentrating urine.J Lab Clin Med. 1968; 71: 338-344
- Selectivity of proteinuria: An evaluation of the immunochemical and gel filtration techniques.J Lab Clin Med. 1970; 75: 586-606
- The dye binding capacity of human plasma determined fluoremetrically and its relation to the determination of plasma albumin.J Clin Path. 1954; 7: 336-340
- Peeters H Protides of the biological fluids, Proceedings of the 11th Colloquium. Elsevier Publishing Company, Amsterdam1964: 370
- Quantitative determination of serum immunoglobulins in antibody plates.J Immunology. 1965; 94: 84-90
- The occurrence of post gamma protein in urine: A new protein abnormality.J Clin Path. 1961; 14: 172-178
- Isolation and properties of a low molecular weight β2 globulin occurring in human biological fluids.J Biol Chem. 1968; 243: 4095-4103
- A biochemical study of minialbumin to be found in the urine of men and animals poisoned by cadmium.S Afr Med J. 1965; 39: 1191-1199
- Quantitative immunological determination of 12 plasma proteins excreted in human urine collected before and after exercise.J Clin Invest. 1968; 47: 386-393
- Proteinuria, Studies by clearances of individual macromolecules.in: Manuel Y Proteins in normal and pathological urine. University Park Press, Baltimore1970: 111-152
Accepted: May 26, 1971
Received: December 23, 1970
☆Supported by National Institutes of Health Grants No. AM 10314, AM 12330 and the Henry P. Shapiro Renal Fund.
© 1971 Published by Elsevier Inc.