This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The serum content of antibodies to DNA and to RNA has been measured by means of a solid-phase immunoassay using polynucleotides adsorbed to plastic cups. The technique shows high specificity for measurement of antibody to double-stranded DNA and RNA, and distinguishes antibody to single-stranded DNA from antibody to double-stranded DNA. The technique avoids problems of anticomplementarity of sera, shows good resolving capability, and allows recovery of the radioactively-labeled polynucleotide reagent.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Complement fixation with cell nuclei and DNA in lupus erythematosus.in: Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 96. 1957: 575-579
- Antibodies to denatured deoxyribonucleic acid in lupus erythematosus serum. II. Characterization of antibodies in several sera.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1962; 61: 7-18
- The pathogenesis of autoimmunity in New Zealand mice. I. Induction of antinucleic acid antibodies by polyinosinic · polycytidylic acid.in: Proc Nat Acad Sci. 63. 1969: 1102-1107
- Antibodies to ribonucleic acid in systemic lupus erythematosus.in: Proc Nat Acad Sci. 63. 1969: 1108-1112
- Immunologic factors and clinical activity in systemic lupus erythematosus.N Engl J Med. 1968; 287: 533-538
- Antibodies to polynucleotides: Distribution in human serums.Science. 1969; 166: 1648-1649
- Deoxyribonucleic acid antibody: A method to detect its primary interaction with deoxyribonucleic acid.Science. 1968; 161: 806-807
- A diagnostic test for systemic lupus erythematosus using a DNA binding assay.Arthritis Rheum. 1968; 11 (Abst.): 837
- Measurement of serum DNA-binding activity in systemic lupus erythematosus.N Engl J Med. 1969; 281: 701-705
- Interaction of nuclei and globulin from lupus erythematosus serum demonstrated with fluorescent antibody.J Immunol. 1958; 80: 324-329
- Mise en évidence dans le sérum de malades atteints de lupus erythémateux disséminé d'une substance déterminant une réaction de précipitation avec l'acide désoxyribonucléique.C R Acad Sci. 1957; 245: 243-245
- Deoxyribonucleic acid polymerase associated with avian tumor viruses: Secondary structure of the deoxyribonucleic acid product.J Virol. 1971; 7: 77-86
- Serum antibody to double-stranded RNA and DNA in patients with idiopathic and secondary uveitis.N Engl J Med. 1971; 285: 1502-1506
- Immunochemical conditions affecting the measurement of DNA antibodies using ammonium sulfate precipitation.Arthritis Rheum. 1971; 14: 623-630
- “Sandwich” solid-phase radioimmunoassay for the quantitative determination of human immunoglobulins.J Immunol. 1969; 103: 129-137
- Antibodies to native and denatured deoxyribonucleic acid in systemic lupus erythematosus.J Clin Invest. 1967; 46: 1867-1882
- Significance of anti-DNA antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus.Lancet. 1971; 2: 861-863
- Antibodies to polynucleotides in human sera: Antigenic specificity and relation to disease.J Exp Med. 1971; 134: 294-312
- Incidence of antibodies to double-stranded RNA in systemic lupus erythematosus and related diseases.Arthritis Rheum. 1971; 14: 342-347
- Inhibition of antibodies binding polyinosinic · polycytidylic acid in human and mouse lupus sera by viral and synthetic ribonucleic acids.J Clin Invest. 1971; 50: 1248-1252
Accepted: September 29, 1972
Received: April 14, 1972
☆This study was supported by Grant AMO 1229, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md., a grant (No. 14) from the Research Committee of the School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Calif., and by a grant from The Seeing Eye, Inc., Morristown, N. J.
© 1973 Published by Elsevier Inc.