This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We studied the effects of insulin, epinephrine, and clofibrate on the activities of carbohydrate-metabolizing enzymes in adipose tissue of 8 obese human volunteer subjects. In all patients, clofibrate decreased the activities of pyruvate kinase, phosphofructokinase, fructose diphosphate aldolase, and fructose diphosphatase after 7 days of treatment. In 4 patients studied in more detail, insulin produced a significant increase in pyruvate kinase and phosphofructokinase activities and a significant decrease in fructose diphosphatase within 5 minutes. Epinephrine injection produced opposite effects. Clofibrate decreased these responses to both insulin and epinephrine. Clofibrate may act at the plasma membrane of the adipose cell to inhibit the lipolytic effects of epinephrine and the antilipolytic effects of insulin.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Effect of clofibrate (ethylchlorophenoxyisobutyrate) feeding on glycolytic and lipogenic enzymes and hepatic glycogen synthesis in the rat.Biochem Pharmacol. 1970; 19: 305-310
- Clofibrate-induced changes in the activity of human intestinal enzymes.Gastroenterology. 1969; 56: 496-499
- Pyruvate kinase from muscle.in: Ed. 10. Methods in Enzymology. vol. I. Academic Press, New York1955: 435
- Factors affecting hepatic glycolysis and some changes that occur during development.Biochem J. 1965; 94: 655-665
- Distinctive properties of native and carboxypeptidase-treated aldolases of rabbit muscle and liver.J. Biol Chem. 1965; 240: 1327-1337
- Fructose-1,6-diphosphatase from spinach leaves.in: Ed. 10. Methods in Enzymology. vol. V. Academic Press, New York1962: 272
- Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent.J Biol Chem. 1951; 193: 265-275
- Rapid reciprocal changes of rat hepatic glycolytic enzymes and fructose-1,6-diphosphatase following glucagon and insulin injection in vivo.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1972; 48: 1663-1670
- The dietary regulation of the glycolytic enzymes. II. Adaptive changes in human jejunum.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1968; 170: 228-234
- Dietary regulation of glycolytic enzymes. III. Adaptive changes in rat jejunal pyruvate kinase, phosphofructokinase, fructosediphosphatase, and glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1969; 184: 29-34
- Effect of clofibrate on arginine-induced insulin and glucagon secretion.Metabolism. 1973; 22: 763-767
- The effect of ethyl chlorophenoxyisobutyrate (CPIB) on the uptake of triglyceride fatty acids, activity of lipoprotein lipase, and lipogenesis from glucose in fat tissue of rats.J Atheroseler Res. 1968; 8: 827-833
- On the mechanism of action of Atromid-S on triglyceride transport in man.Trans Assoc Am Phys. 1970; 83: 211-224
- Effects of chlorophenoxyisobutyrate (CPIB) on liver composition and triglyceride synthesis in rats.J Atheroscler Res. 1966; 6: 555-564
- On the mode of action of lipid-lowering agents. II. In vitro inhibition of acetyl coenzyme A carboxylase by a hypolipidemic drug.Biochemistry. 1970; 9: 413-417
- Inhibition of hepatic triglyceride formation by clofibrate.J Clin Invest. 1971; 50: 2339-2346
- Regulation of hepatic cholesterol biosynthesis by clofibrate administration.J Pharmacol Exp Therap. 1971; 178: 361-370
- Effects of a-p-chlorophenoxyisobutyryl ethyl ester (CPIB) with and without androsterone on cholesterol biosynthesis in rat liver.J Lipid Res. 1965; 6: 369-376
- Mode of action of chlorophenoxyisobutyric acid on cholesterol metabolism in man.Circulation. 1971; 43: 299-309
- The effect of clofibrate on rat tissue adenyl cyclase.in: Ed. 10. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 134. 1970: 1035-1038
- Inhibition of hormone stimulated lipolysis by elofibrate; mechanism for its hypolipidemic effect.Clin Res. 1973; 21: 884
- Biochemical aspects of drugs and hormone action on adipose tissue.Pharmacol Rev. 1973; 25: 67-118
Accepted: July 2, 1974
Received: December 3, 1973
☆The opinions or assertions contained herein are the private views of the author(s) and are not to be construed as official or as reflecting the views of the Department of the Army or the Department of Defense.
© 1974 Published by Elsevier Inc.