This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Serum amyloid P component (SAP) is a normal constituent of human serum. A rate nephelometric technique has been developed that can measure this protein more rapidly and reproducibly than previously described methods. Materials required are simple and commercially available. Studies on 30 patients with amyloidosis show no difference in SAP levels from control patients. Rate nephelometry is a simple technique that could expand the ability to measure SAP beyond the research setting.
Abbreviations:(SAP) (serum amyloid P component), (AP) (P-component), (RIA) (radioimmunoassay), (AL) (primary amyloidosis), (AA) (secondary amyloidosis), (AF) (familial amyloidosis), (CRP) (C-reactive protein)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- P-component (pentagonal unit) of amyloid: isolation, characterization, and sequence analysis.J Lab Clin Med. 1974; 84: 604
- Amino terminal sequence of amyloid P-component isolated from serum.J Lab Clin Med. 1978; 92: 78
- Immunohistochemical evidence for the lack of amyloid P-component in some intracerebral amyloids.Lab Invest. 1982; 46: 457
- Isolation of amyloid P-component (protein AP) from normal serum as a calcium dependent binding protein.Lancet. 1977; 1: 1029
- Characterization of C-reactive protein and the complement subcomponent Clt as homologous protein displaying cyclic pentametric symetry (pentraxins).in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 74. 1977: 739
- Serum amyloid P-component levels in amyloidosis, connective tissue diseases, infection, and malignancy as compared to normal serum.J Lab Clin Med. 1979; 94: 633
- Electroimmunoassay.Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 1972; 29: 21
- Comparative clinical study of protein SAP (amyloid P-component) and C-reactive protein in serum.Clin Exp Immunol. 1978; 32: 199
- Protein SAP (serum amyloid P-component) in Waldenstroms macroglobulinemia, multiple myeloma and rheumatic diseases.J Clin Lab Immunol. 1982; 8: 153
- Serum amyloid P-component and C-reactive protein in serum of healthy Icelanders and members of an Icelandic family with macroglobulinemia.Acta Med Scand. 1982; 211: 341
- A rate nephelometer for measuring specific proteins by immunoprecipitin reactions.Clin Chem. 1977; 23: 1456
- Quantification of immune complexes by nephelometry.Methods Enzymol. 1981; 74: 628
- Studies on amyloid protein AP.in: Glenner GG Costa PP deFreitas F Amyloid and Amyloidosis. Excerpta Medica Foundation, Amsterdam1980: 384
- Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent.J Biol Chem. 1951; 193: 265
- Laser nephelometry quantitation of fibrinogen related antigens.Am J Clin Pathol. 1981; 76: 284
- Rapid determination of fibronectin by laser nephelometry.J Clin Chem Clin Biochem. 1980; 18: 893
- Classification of amyloid: 1979–1980.Arthritis Rheum. 1980; 23: 644
- Characterization of P-component (AP) isolated from amyloidotic tissue. Half-life studies of human and murine AP.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1982; 389: 190
- Analogues in other mammals and in fish of human plasma proteins, C-reactive protein and amyloid P-component.Nature. 1978; 273: 168
Accepted: July 12, 1983
Received: June 1, 1983
☆Supported by grants AM 04599, AM 07014, AM 20613, RR 533, and CA 16835 from National Institutes of Health and by the Arthritis Foundation.
© 1983 Published by Elsevier Inc.