This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The mechanism of collagenase production by cells derived from rabbit liver was investigated in the present study. Fibroblasts alone, second to fourth passage cells, did not produce collagenase even if PMA, a potent inducer of collagenase production, was added to the culture medium. Collagenase activity was detected only in first passage cells, containing hepatocyte-like and fibroblast-like cells, after the addition of PMA. During 9 days of culture, there was negligible collagenase activity in the first 3 days, but in the following 3 days the activity was 2.54 ± 0.31 U (mean ± S.E.M., n = 5) (micrograms of collagen degraded per minute) per milligram of cell protein, and in the final 3 days the activity was 9.05 ± 0.38 U/mg of cell protein. These results suggest that interaction between mesenchymal and parenchymal cells is important for collagenase production in the liver.
Abbreviations:phorbol myristate acetate ((PMA)), Hanks' balanced salt solution ((HBSS)), Dulbecco's modified Eagle's medium ((DMEM)), fetal calf serum ((FCS)), lactalbumin hydrolysate ((LH)), ferric nitrilotriacetate ((FeNTA)), trichloroacetic acid ((TCA)), l-1-tosylamide-2-phenylethyl chloromethyl ketone ((TPCK))
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Collagenase activity in experimental hepatic fibrosis.Nature. 1974; 252: 49
- Different appearance of hepatic collagenase and lysosomal enzymes in recovery of experimental hepatic fibrosis.Biochem Exp Biol. 1978; 14: 191
- Direct measurement of neutral collagenase activity in homogenates from baboon and human liver.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1981; 658: 124
- Mammalian collagenase increases in early alcoholic liver disease and decreases with cirrhosis.Life Sci. 1982; 30: 1379
- Collagenase in experimental carbon tetrachloride cirrhosis of the liver.Am J Pathol. 1978; 92: 411
- Lysyl oxidase and collagenase in experimental acute and chronic liver injury.Gastroenterology. 1982; 82: 526
- Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent.J Biol Chem. 1951; 193: 265
- Iron increases collagenase production by rabbit synovial fibroblasts.J Lab Clin Med. 1981; 97: 396
- Methodology of collagenase research: substrate preparation, enzyme activation and purification.in: Woolley DE Evanson JM Collagenase in Normal and Pathological Connective Tissues. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester1980: 37
- A rapid sensitive collagenase assay.Anal Biochem. 1975; 68: 70
- Disc electrophoresis of collagen components.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1964; 121: 494
- Inhibition by retinoic acid of collagenase production in rheumatoid synovial cells.N Engl J Med. 1980; 303: 432
- Humoral interactions in mammalian collagenase regulation: comparative studies in human skin and rats uterus.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1980; 629: 13
- Regulation of stromal cell collagenase production in adult rabbit cornea: in vitro stimulation and inhibition by epithelial cell products.in: ed. 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 77. 1980: 5331
- Stimulation by endocytosis of the secretion of collagenase and neutral proteinase from rabbit synovial fibroblast.J Exp Med. 1974; 140: 1482
- Cytochalasin B increases collagenase production by cells in vitro.Nature. 1975; 257: 243
- Participation of monocyte-macrophages and lymphocytes in the production of a factor that stimulates collagenase and prostaglandin release by rheumatoid synovial cells.J Clin Invest. 1979; 64: 1386
- Collagenase production by synovial fibroblasts treated with phorbol myristate acetate.Arthritis Rheum. 1979; 22: 1109
- Stimulation of collagenase production by collagen in mammalian cell cultures.Cell. 1979; 18: 1035
- Granuloma collagenase and EDTA-sensitive neutral protease production in hepatic murine schistosomiasis.Hepatology. 1981; 1: 211
- Mammalian collagenase production by fibroblast from rabbit gastric mucosa.Gastroenterology. 1981; 80: 1243
- Distribution of type I collagen and basement membrane proteins in the cultures of cloned epithelial liver cells.Cell Structure Function. 1982; 7: 213
- Cytotoxicity of peripheral lymphocytes from patients with hepatoma on human hepatoma cell line.Jpn J Gastroenterol. 1980; 77: 916
- Cell cooperation in collagen and proteoglycan degradation.in: Dingle JT Gordon S Cellular Interactions. Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press, New York1981: 241
- Collagenase production by adult rat hepatocytes in primary culture.Biomed Res. 1982; 3: 345
Accepted: June 7, 1983
Received: August 27, 1982
☆This research was supported by a Grant in Aid for Scientific Research (57570295, I. Okazaki) from the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture, and a grant (K. Maruyama) from Fujizoki Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
© 1983 Published by Elsevier Inc.