This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Human plasma transthyretin (TTR, a protein formerly called prealbumin) is known to be associated with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy (FAP) of autosomal inheritance. A variant TTR with a methionine-for-valine substitution at position 30 has been described as the major protein component of amyloid in Portuguese and Japanese patients with FAP and in patients of Swedish ancestry with FAP. In these patients, TTR(Met30) also circulates in relatively low concentration in the plasma. TTR variants having substitutions in other positions have also been reported in a patient of Jewish origin with FAP. We now report studies on TTR from an FAP kindred of Greek ancestry. By peptide mapping analysis, plasma TTR from the propositus was compared with TTR from a Portuguese patient with FAP. TTR(Met30) was found to circulate in the blood plasma of the Greek propositus. By use of a recently developed immunoblotting technique, this variant TTR was also detected in some of the relatives of the propositus. Future studies of this mutant gene among ethnically different FAP populations might contribute to an understanding of selection and persistence of the mutation.
Abbreviations:CNBr (cyanogen bromide), DEAE (diethylaminoethyl), FAP (familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy), HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography), PAGE (polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis), TTR (transthyretin)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Amyloid fibril protein related to prealbumin in familial amyloidotic polynueorpathy.in: 4th ed. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 75. 1978: 4499-4503
- Amyloid fibril protein in type I familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy in Japanese.J Lab Clin Med. 1981; 98: 811-822
- Amyloid in hereditary amyloid polyneuropathy is related to prealbumin.Arch Neurol. 1981; 38: 420-422
- Partial amino acid sequence homology between an heredofamilial amyloid protein and human plasma prealbumin.J Clin Invest. 1981; 67: 1035-1041
- The prealbumin nature of the amyloid protein in familial amyloid polyneuropathy (FAP)-Swedish variety.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1981; 99: 1326-1332
- A variant of prealbumin from amyloid fibrils in familial polyneuropathy of Jewish origin.J Exp Med. 1981; 15: 989-993
- Presence of an abnormal transthyretin (prealbumin) in Portuguese patients with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy.Trans Assoc Am Physicians. 1983; 96: 261-270
- Amyloid fibril protein in familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy, Portuguese type. Definition of molecular abnormality in transthyretin (prealbumin).J Clin Invest. 1984; 74: 104-119
- Primary structure of an amyloid prealbumin and its plasma precursor in a heredofamilial polyneuropathy of Swedish origin.in: 4th ed. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 81. 1984: 694-698
- Identification of amyloid prealbumin variant in familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy (Japanese type).Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1983; 116: 880-888
- Identification of a prealbumin variant in the serum of a Japanese patient with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1984; 122: 712-718
- A variant prealbumin-related low molecular weight amyloid fibril protein in familial amyloid polyneuropathy of Japanese origin.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1984; 125: 622-628
- Primary structure of an amyloid prealbumin variant in familial polyneuropathy of Jewish origin.in: 4th ed. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 80. 1983: 539-542
- Peripheral nerve changes in amyloid neuropathy.Brain. 1974; 97: 395-406
- Dissociated sensation in amyloidosis.Arch Neurol. 1969; 20: 490-507
- Familial amyloid neuropathy: description of two new kinships of Greek ancestry (abstr).Arthritis Rheum. 1982; 25: S141
- The inherited systemic amyloidoses and localized amyloid deposits.in: Stanbury JB Wyngaarden JB Fredrickson DS The metabolic basis of inherited disease. 4th ed. Mc-Graw Hill, New York1978: 1308
- Biochemical marker in familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy, Portuguese type. Family studies on the transthyretin (prealbumin)-methionine-30 variant.J Clin Invest. 1985; 76: 2171-2177
- Studies on plasma transthyretin (prealbumin) in familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy, Portuguese type.J Lab Clin Med. 1983; 102: 590-603
- A general method for fractionation of plasma proteins.Biochem J. 1982; 201: 129-136
- Apparatus for use in the chromatography of amino acids.Anal Chem. 1958; 30: 1190-1206
- Family studies of transthyretin (prealbumin) and its methionine 30 variant in Portuguese patients with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy.in: Glenner GG Amyloidosis. Plenum, New York1986: 289-294
- Family studies of the genetic abnormality in transthyretin (prealbumin) in Portuguese patients with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1984; 435: 86-100
- Evidence for the multicentric origin of the sickle cell hemoglobin gene in Africa.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 81. 1984: 1771-1773
- Diagnosis of familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy by recombinant DNA techniques.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1984; 125: 636-642
- Genetic studies on a human plasma transthyretin (prealbumin) variant associated with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy.in: Peeters H Protides of the biological fluids. Pergamon Press, Oxford1985: 127-130
- The amino acid sequence of human plasma prealbumin.J Biol Chem. 1974; 294: 6796-6805
Accepted: March 18, 1986
Received: November 15, 1985
☆Supported by National Institutes of Health Grants HL 21006 (SCOR) and AM 05968.
© 1986 Published by Elsevier Inc.