This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Many disease states decrease intracellular adenosine triphosphate (ATP) levels and elevate body fluid purine levels. The use of specific metabolic substrates may reverse this process. This study was designed to test the hypothesis that β-hydroxybutyrate, a substrate for ATP synthesis, decreases body fluid purine levels during interventions that induce ATP degradation. Decreases in these purine levels are metabolic markers for diminished ATP degradation. Two human models for stimulating ATP degradation were used to test the hypothesis. Rapid fructose infusion causes acute degradation of hepatic ATP, and ischemie exercise stimulates ATP consumption in skeletal muscle. The activity of β-hydroxybutyrate was used in combination with phosphate, another important substrate for ATP synthesis. The studies were performed during a low-phosphate state in 10 normal subjects and during a high-phosphate state in 7 normal subjects. Metabolic variables, such as serum or urinary phosphate level, blood β-hydroxybutyrate level, blood acetoacetate level, plasma or urinary purine level, blood lactate level, and blood ammonia level, were monitored during the study. After ischemic exercise of the forearm muscle, β-hydroxybutyrate decreased the level of plasma total purines, blood lactate, and blood ammonia during the low-phosphate state but not during the high-phosphate state. During fructose-induced hepatic ATP breakdown, β-hydroxybutyrate decreased late phase plasma purine increases under low-phosphate conditions only and decreased urinary total and radiolabeled purine elevations under both phosphate conditions. These data indicate that the infusion of β-hydroxybutyrate may alter the balance from ATP degradation toward ATP resynthesis in muscle and liver by providing an immediate source of fuel and reducing equivalents under under specific metabolic conditions. This activity in combination with other metabolic interventions may have therapeutic value by restoring ATP pools in ATP-depleted tissues.
Abbreviations:AMP (adenosine monophosphate), ATP (adenosine triphosphate), CoA (coenzyme A), CRC (University of Michigan Clinical Research Center), NADH (reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide), Pi (inorganic phosphate)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Adenosine triphosphate in specific disease.J Lab Clin Med. 1985; 1106: 101-110
- Hyperuricemia and gout.in: Scriver CR Beaudet AL Sly WS Valle D The metabolic basis of inherited disease. 6th ed. McGraw-Hill, New York1989: 965-1006
- Enhanced adenine nucleotide degradation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: The effect of oxygen therapy.Pediatr Res. 1988; 24: 125
- Adenosine triphosphate turnover in human: decreased degradation during relative hyperphosphatemia.J Clin Invest. 1989; 84: 990-995
- Stimulation by 3-hydroxybutyrate of pyruvate carboxylation in mitochondria from rat liver.Eur J Biochem. 1985; 152: 131-136
- Control of pyruvate carboxylase activity by the pyridine-nucleotide redox state in mitochondria from rat liver.Eur J Biochem. 1988; 173: 369-374
- Studies on the mechanism of fructose induced hyperuricemia in man.Metabolism. 1972; 21: 713-721
- ATP degradation products after ischemie exercise: hereditary lack of phosphorylase or carnitine palmityltransferase.Neurology. 1985; 35: 1355-1357
- Mitochondrial respiratory control in the myocardium.Biochem Biophys Acta. 1986; 853: 1345-1351
- A possible role of inorganic phosphate as a regulator of oxidative phosphorylation in combined urea synthesis and gluconeogenesis in perfused rat liver.J Biol Chem. 1989; 264: 10034-10040
- Subcellular distribution of malate-aspartate cycle intermediates during norinoxia and anoxia in the heart.Biochem Biophys Acta. 1988; 936: 115-123
- Ketose induced respiratory inhibition in isolated hepatocytes.Rev Esp Fisiol. 1987; 43: 163-172
- Regulation of mammalian pyruvate dehydrogenase.Mol Cel Biochem. 1975; 9: 27-53
- Evidence that the glucosefatty acid cycle is operative in isolated skeletal (soleus) muscle.Diabetologia. 1975; 11: 336
- Model to examine pathways of carbon flux from lactate to glucose at the first point in gluconeogenesis.J Biol Chem. 1988; 263: 16725-16730
- Suppression of glucose production and stimulation of insulin secretion by physiological concentrations of ketone bodies in man.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1981; 52: 34-37
- Failure of infused β-hydroxybutyrate to decrease proteolysis in man.Diabetes. 1983; 32: 197-205
- Effect of β-hydroxybutyrate on whole-body leucine kinetics and fractional mixed skeletal muscle protein synthesis in humans.J Clin Invest. 1988; 82: 198-205
- Overproduction of uric acid in hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase deficiency.J Clin Invest. 1979; 73: 922-930
- Enhanced purine salvage during allopurinol therapy: an important pharmacologic property in humans.J Lab Clin Med. 1981; 98: 673-683
- A standardized forearm ischemic exercisc test.Neurology. 1970; 20: 1171-1178
- The enzymatic spectrophotometric method for determination of uric acid.J Lab Clin Med. 1959; 54: 903-913
- Isocratic separation of ATP and its degradation products from biological fluids by automated liquid chromatography.Clin Chem. 1988; 34: 925-932
- 2nd ed. Technicon Auto Analyzer R method file (method N116). Technicon Instrument Corp, Tarrytown, New York1969
- Acetoacetate.in: Bergmeyer H Methods of enzymatic analysis. 2nd ed. Academic Press, New York1974: 1840-1843
- Lactate.in: Bergmeyer H Methods of enzymatic analysis. 2nd ed. Academic Press, New York1974: 1464-1468
- Renal retention of uric acid induced by infusion of β-hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate.N Engl J Med. 1965; 272: 351-355
- Hereditary xanthinuria: evidence for enhanced hypoxanthine salvage.J Clin Invest. 1987; 79: 847-852
- Myoadenylate deaminase deficiency.in: Scriver CR Beaudet AL Sly WS Valle D The metabolic basis of inherited disease. 6th ed. McGraw-Hill, Inc, 1989: 1077-1084
- Glucose-induced exertional fatigue in muscle phosphofructokinase deficiency.N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 364-369
- How muscles use fuel.N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 411-412
Accepted: February 18, 1994
Received in revised form: February 15, 1994
Received: January 22, 1993
☆Supported by Public Health Service Grants 2R01 DK 19674, 5 MO1 RR 42, and 2P60 DKS 20572.
© 1994 Published by Elsevier Inc.