Abbreviations:AAS (atomic absorption spectroscopy), GvH (graft-versus-host reaction), HFE (hemochromatosis gene on the short arm of chromosome 6), HH (hereditary hemochromatosis), LIC (liver iron concentration), SF-Fe (serum ferritin iron), SQUID (superconducting quantum interference device)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Laboratory determination of iron status.in: Iron metabolism in health and disease. WB Saunders, London1994: 449-476
- Primary iron overload.in: Iron metabolism in health and disease. WB Saunders, London1994: 227-270
- Serum ferritin during infection.Scand J Hematol. 1978; 21: 333-340
- Serum ferritin and malignant tumors.Med Oncol Tumor Pharmacother. 1984; 1: 149-156
- Serum ferritin-iron (holoferritin): the first reliable (not confounded by inflammation) serum measurement of body iron stores.J Invest Med. 1995; 43: 198a
- High serum ferritin protein does not distinguish iron overload from inflammation, but a new assay, high serum-ferritin-iron, does.Am J Clin Nutr. 1995; 61: 911
- Serum ferritin iron, a new test, measures human body iron stores unconfounded by inflammation.Stem Cells. 1997; 15: 291-296
- The iron content of serum ferritin: physiological importance and diagnostic value.Eur J Clin Chem Clin Biochem. 1997; 35: 53-56
- Liver iron stores in patients with secondary haemosiderosis under treatment with deferoxamine or deferiprone.Br J Haematol. 1995; 91: 827-833
- Serum ferritin: does it differ from tissue ferritin?.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1996; 11: 1033-1036
- Detection of a glycosylated subunit in human serum ferritin.Biochem J. 1981; 199: 565-571
- The purification and properties of ferritin from human serum.Biochem J. 1976; 157: 97-103
- Characterisation of serum ferritin in iron overload: possible identity to natural apoferritin.Br J Haematol. 1977; 36: 199-207
- Sialic acid and microheterogeneity of human serum ferritin.Clin Sci. 1980; 58: 259-262
- Quantitation of ferritin in plasma, an explanation for non-transferrin iron.Blood. 1988; 71: 1120-1123
- Cellular iron processing and storage. The role of ferritin.in: Iron metabolism in health and disease. WB Saunders, London1994: 97-121
- Differences between Kupffer cells and endothelial cells of human liver in iron storage and release under normal conditions, after i.v. administration and in iron overload.in: Kupffer cells and other liver sinusoidal cells. Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam1977: 233-241
- On the iron content of human serum ferritin, especially in acute viral hepatitis and iron overload.Clin Chim Acta. 1978; 90: 93-99
☆Reprint requests: Peter Nielsen, MD, PhD, Universitätskrankenhaus Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany.