This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Due to the objections to the present tests in use for the determination of prothrombin in blood, a modified technique has been evolved which overcomes these defects and in addition has the essential factors of adaptability, simplicity, accuracy, and economy. A new thromboplastic agent which is stable and easily prepared has been made from sheep brain. The modified technique has been adequately tested clinically and has been found to be satisfactory.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Study of Coagulation Defect in Hemophilia and in Jaundice.Am. J. M. Sc. 1935; 190: 501
- Evaluation of Blood Clotting Factors in Surgical Diseases, With Special Reference to Thrombosis and Embolism and Certain Bleeding Conditions.Ann. Surg. 1929; 90: 161
- Relation of Blood Fibrin to Hemorrhagic Diathesis of Obstructive Jaundice.Ann. Surg. 1932; 96: 394
- Calcium and Coagulation of Blood.in: Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 31. 1934: 1054
- Observations on Alterations of Blood Platelets as Factor in Coagulation of Blood.Am. J. Physiol. 1934; 108: 670
- Coagulation of Blood.Ann. Surg. 1930; 91: 801
- Coagulation of Blood.Ann. Surg. 1930; 91: 810
- Hemorrhagic Diathesis of Obstructive Jaundice and Its Treatment.Ann. Surg. 1928; 88: 845
- Coagulability of Blood Plasma; Remarks on Technique of Its Determination.in: ed. 3. Proc. Staff Meet., Mayo Clin. 9. 1934: 151
- Cause of Delayed Clotting of Hemophilic Blood.Am. J. Physiol. 1926; 78: 500
- Anticoagulants of Blood.in: ed. 3. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 32. 1934: 164
- Plasma Prothrombin Levels in Various Vertebrates.Am. J. Physiol. 1939; 125: 296
- Nature of Bleeding in Jaundice.J. A. M. A. 1938; 110: 1658
- Prothrombin Deficiency and Bleeding Tendency in Liver Injury (Chloroform Intoxication).J. Exper. Med. 1937; 66: 801
- Quantitative Study on Blood Clotting; Prothrombin Fluctuations Under Experimental Conditions.Am. J. Physiol. 1936; 114: 667
- On Action of Heparin and Its Relation to Thromboplastin.Am. J. Physiol. 1936; 115: 317
- Quantitative Relationship of Calcium and Cephalin in Experimental Thrombin Formation.Am. J. Physiol. 1938; 123: 341
- Blood Calcium and Calcium Factor in Blood Coagulation.Physiol. Rev. 1936; 16: 640
- Coagulation Defects in Sweet Clover Disease and in Hemorrhagic Chick Disease of Dietary Origin; Consideration of Source of Prothrombin.Am. J. Physiol. 1937; 118: 260
- On Various Properties of Thromboplastin (Aqueous Tissue Extracts).Am. J. Physiol. 1936; 114: 282
- Lung Extract in Blood Clotting.Am. J. Physiol. 1934; 107: 63
- Preliminary Report: Clinical and Experimental Conditions Associated With Deficiency of Prothrombin.in: Symposium on Hemorrhagic Diathesis in Cases of Jaundice: Its Relation to Vitamin K Deficiency. ed. 3. Proc. Staff Meet., Mayo Clin. 13. 1938: 65
- Coagulability of Blood Plasma.in: ed. 3. Proc. Staff Meet., Mayo Clin. 7. 1932: 544
- Control of Vitamin K Therapy. Compensatory Mechanisms at Low Prothrombin Levels.in: ed. 3. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 40. 1939: 595
- Blood Coagulation During Infancy.in: ed. 3. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 41. 1939: 181
- Prothrombin Concentration in Newborn.in: ed. 3. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 41. 1939: 227
- Inactivation of Prothrombin by Purified Thrombin Solutions.in: ed. 3. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 41. 1939: 657
Received: November 27, 1939
© 1940 Published by Elsevier Inc.