This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The identification of pituitary antigens recognized by human antipituitary antibodies (APAs) is important in evaluating the pathophysiology of multiendocrine disorders linked to autoimmune factors. However, there is no convenient method for the quantitative analysis of circulating APAs. This study reports the development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the detection of APAs. APAs were measured by ELISA and confirmed by Western blot analysis in sera from patients with endocrine disorders. APAs were detected frequently in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis, insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM), or pituitary dwarfism. Circulating APAs were detected in 18% of patients with autoimmune thyroiditis. Confirmation by Western blot revealed positivity for APAs in the serum of 36% of patients with Hashimoto disease and in 29% of patients with Graves disease. Notably, 39% of patients with IDDM were also positive for APAs by ELISA. The identification of APAs by ELISA may be useful in evaluating autoimmune mechanisms involved in patients with multiendocrine disorders.
Abbreviations:APA (Antipituitary antibody), BSA (bovine serum albumin), ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay), GH (growth hormone), IDDM (insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus), lgG (immunoglobulin G), NIDDM (non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus), PBS (phosphate-buffered saline solution), RT (room temperature), SDS (sodium dodecylsulfate)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Translational Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Isolated ACTH deficiency associated an autoantibody to a corticotroph antigen that is not ACTH or other propiomelanocortin-derived peptides.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1990; 70: 1391-1397
- Recovery from lymphocytic hypophysitis associated with painless thyroiditis: clinical implications of circulating antipituitary antibodies.Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1993; 128: 493-498
- Antipituitary antibodies in patients with primary empty sella syndrome.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1988; 67: 633-638
- Presence of anti-pituitary hormone antibodies in patients with empty sella syndrome and pituitary tumors.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1993; 38: 495-500
- Anterior pituitary cell antibodies detected in Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Graves' disease.Endocrinol Japan. 1988; 35: 705-708
- Pituitary-cell antibody diversity in sera from patients with untreated Graves' disease.Autoimmunity. 1989; 5: 49-57
- Autoimmunity to anterior pituitary cells and the pathogenesis of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.Lancet. 1982; 2: 755-759
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA): Quantitative assay of immunoglobulin G.Immunochemistry. 1971; 8: 871-874
- Western blot analysis of rat pituitary antigens recognized by human pituitary antibodies.Endocrine I. 1995; 42: 115-119
- Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4.Nature. 1970; 227: 680-685
- Autoantibodies to prolactin-secreting cells of human pituitary.Lancet. 1975; 2: 97-101
- Heterogeneity of anterior pituitary cell antibodies detected in insulin dependent diabetes mellitus and adrenocorticotropic hormone deficiency.Diabetes Res. 1986; 3: 111-114
- Isohormonal therapy of endocrine autoimmunity.Immunol Today. 1995; 16: 289-293
- Presence of anti-pituitary antibodies and GAD antibodies in NIDDM and IDDM.Diabetes Care. 1997; 20: 864-866
- Lymphocytic adernohy-pophysitis and lymphocytic infundibuloneurohypophysitis.Endocrine J. 1997; 44: 1-10
- Virus-induced diabetes mellitus XX: Polyendocrinopathy and autoimmunity.J Exp Med. 1981; 153: 1457-1473
- Identification and expression cloning of a leptin receptor OB-R.Cell. 1995; 83: 1263-1271
- New chapter for the fat controller.Nature. 1996; 379: 113-114
- Obesity, leptin, and the brain.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 324-325
- Presence of anti-pituitary hormone antibodies in patients with empty sella syndrome and pituitary tumors.Clin Endoclinol. 1993; 38: 495-500
- Detection of anti-pituitary autoantibodies by immunoblotting.J Immmunol Methods. 1993; 162: 31-40
Accepted: March 18, 1998
Received in revised form: March 13, 1998
Received: September 13, 1996
☆Supported in part by a grant-in-aid (#04454545, I.K.) for Scientific Research from the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture, Japan.
© 1998 Published by Elsevier Inc.