Abbreviations:3D (three-dimensional), 3DP (3D printing), ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials), bFGF (basic fibroblast growth factor), CAD (computer-aided design), EBM (electron beam melting), ePTFE (expanded polytetrafluoroethylene), FDM (fused deposition modeling), FDA (United States Food and Drug Administration), FD&C Act (Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act), GelMA (gelatin methacryloyl), LOM (laminated object manufacturing), MEMS (microelectromechanical systems), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology), NO (nitric oxide), PDGF (platelet-derived growth factor), PDMS (polydimethyl siloxane), PET (polyethylene terephthalate), PGS (poly(glycerol sebacate)), PMA (Premarket Approval), PMN (Premarket Notification), PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), SLA or SL (stereolithography), SLS (selective laser sintering), VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Vascular Trauma: Society for Vascular Surgery (SVS); 2018. Available from: vascular.org. Accessed November 11, 2018.
- Diabetes and vascular disease.Circulation. 2003; 108: 1655-1661
- Endovascular and open vascular reconstruction: a practical approach.CRC Press, Boca Raton2017
- Endovascular versus surgical treatment in patients with carotid stenosis in the Carotid and Vertebral Artery Transluminal Angioplasty Study (CAVATAS): a randomised trial.Lancet. 2001; 357: 1729-1737
- Unruptured intracranial aneurysms: natural history, clinical outcome, and risks of surgical and endovascular treatment.Lancet. 2003; 362: 103-110
- Vascular reconstruction and major resection for malignancy.Arch Surg. 1999; 134: 851-855
- Surgical outcomes of vascular reconstruction in soft tissue sarcomas of the lower extremities.J Vasc Surg. 2015; 62: 143-149
- Vascular reconstruction plays an important role in the treatment of pancreatic adenocarcinoma.J Vasc Surg. 2015; 61: 475-480
Contegra® Pulmonary Valved Conduit Medtronic; 2018. Available from: www.medtronic.com.
- The Hancock® Valved conduit for right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction in sheep for assessing new devices.J Heart Valve Dis. 2017; 4: 472-480
- Limb salvage with cryovein cadaver saphenous vein allografts used for peripheral arterial bypass: role of blood compatibility.Ann Vasc Surg. 2011; 25: 177-181
Peripheral Vascular Surgery for Large Vessel Vasculitis. Inflammatory diseases of blood vessels.
- The tissue-engineered vascular graft-past, present, and future.Tissue Eng B Rev. 2015; 22: 68-100
- Vascular reconstruction in a neonate after iatrogenic injury during cardiac catheterization.Plast Reconstr Surg – Global Open. 2017; 5: e1600
- Pediatric vascular surgery review with a 30-year-experience in a tertiary referral center.Vasc Spec Int. 2017; 33: 47-54
- A technique for a self-made bifurcated graft with bovine pericardial patch in infectious vascular reconstruction.J Vasc Surg Cases Innov Tech. 2016; 2: 158-160
- A novel technique for bifurcated bovine plus omniflow aortic graft reconstruction.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2017; 53: 104
- The anatomy and physiology of capillaries.Yale University Press, New Haven1922
- The oliver-sharpey lectures On the Activity of the Capillary Blood Vessels, and its Relation to Certain Forms of Toxaemia: delivered before the Royal College of Physicians of London.Br Med J. 1923; 1: 1006-1010
- Anatomy and physiology of the circulatory and ventilatory systems.Springer, New York2014
- Transmural organization of the arterial media. The lamellar unit revisited.Arteriosclerosis. 1985; 5: 19-34
- Arterial aging: a brief review.Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2012; 53: 473-477
- Basic vascular neuroanatomy of the brain and spine: what the general interventional radiologist needs to know.Semin Interv Radiol. 2013; 30: 234-239
- A blood vessel model constructed from collagen and cultured vascular cells.Science. 1986; 231: 397-400
- Mechanical properties of completely autologous human tissue engineered blood vessels compared to human saphenous vein and mammary artery.Biomaterials. 2009; 30: 1542-1550
- Vascular tissue engineering: progress, challenges, and clinical promise.Cell Stem Cell. 2018; 22: 340-354
- Engineering the vasculature with additive manufacturing.Curr Opin Biomed Eng. 2017; 2: 1-13
- Tissue engineering of acellular vascular grafts capable of somatic growth in young lambs.Nat Commun. 2016; 7: 12951
- In vivo performance of decellularized vascular grafts: a review article.Int J Mol Sci. 2018; 19: 2101
- Acellular vascular matrix grafts from human placenta chorion: impact of ECM preservation on graft characteristics, protein composition and in vivo performance.Biomaterials. 2018; 177: 14-26
- Bioprinting for vascular and vascularized tissue biofabrication.Acta Biomater. 2017; 51: 1-20
- Scaffold-free vascular tissue engineering using bioprinting.Biomaterials. 2009; 30: 5910-5917
- Bioprinting of artificial blood vessels: current approaches towards a demanding goal.Eur J Cardio-Thorac Surg. 2014; 46: 767-778
- Dynamically crosslinked gold nanoparticle – hyaluronan hydrogels.Adv Mater. 2010; 22: 4736-4740
- Photocrosslinkable hyaluronan-gelatin hydrogels for two-step bioprinting.Tissue Eng A. 2010; 16: 2675-2685
- Bioprinting vessel-like constructs using hyaluronan hydrogels crosslinked with tetrahedral polyethylene glycol tetracrylates.Biomaterials. 2010; 31: 6173-6181
- Development of human umbilical vein endothelial cell (HUVEC) and human umbilical vein smooth muscle cell (HUVSMC) branch/stem structures on hydrogel layers via biological laser printing (BioLP).Biofabrication. 2010; 2014111
- Chapter Five – Material characterization for additive manufacturing.in: Chua CK Wong CH Yeong WY Standards, quality control, and measurement sciences in 3D printing and additive manufacturing. Academic Press, 2017: 95-137
International A. ASTM ISO/ASTM52900-15 standard terminology for additive manufacturing – general principles – terminology. West Conshohocken, PA;2015.
- Optimization of fused deposition modeling process parameters: a review of current research and future prospects.Adv Manuf. 2015; 3: 42-53
- 3D printing of polymer matrix composites: a review and prospective.Compos B: Eng. 2017; 110: 442-458
- Development of ceramic-reinforced photopolymers for SLA 3D printing technology.Appl Phys A. 2016; 122: 629
- Life-cycle economic analysis of distributed manufacturing with open-source 3-D printers.Mechatronics. 2013; 23: 713-726
- Three-dimensional printing of complex biological structures by freeform reversible embedding of suspended hydrogels.Sci Adv. 2015; 1: 1-10
- Biomaterial-free three-dimensional bioprinting of cardiac tissue using human induced pluripotent stem cell derived cardiomyocytes.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 4566
- Omnidirectional printing of 3D microvascular networks.Adv Mater. 2011; 23: H178-HH83
- Extrusion bioprinting. Essentials of 3D biofabrication and translation.Elsevier, 2015: 123-152
- Three-dimensional bioprinting of complex cell laden alginate hydrogel structures.Biofabrication. 2015; 7045012
- Direct-write bioprinting of cell-laden methacrylated gelatin hydrogels.Biofabrication. 2014; 6024105
- Tissue engineering by self-assembly of cells printed into topologically defined structures.Tissue Eng Part A. 2008; 14: 413-421
- Three-dimensional bioprinting using self-assembling scalable scaffold-free “tissue strands” as a new bioink.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 28714
- Principles of the Kenzan method for robotic cell spheroid-based three-dimensional bioprinting.Tissue Eng B: Rev. 2017; 23: 237-244
- 3D and 4D scaffold-free bioprinting.in: 3D and 4D printing in biomedical applications: process engineering and additive manufacturing. 2019: 317-342
- Use of human mesenchymal cells to improve vascularization in a mouse model for scaffold-based dermal regeneration.Tissue Eng Part A. 2009; 15: 1191-1200
- VEGF producing bone marrow stromal cells (BMSC) enhance vascularization and resorption of a natural coral bone substitute.Bone. 2007; 41: 516-522
- A completely biological tissue-engineered human blood vessel.FASEB J. 1998; 12: 47-56
- Effects of myocardial transplantation of marrow mesenchymal stem cells transfected with vascular endothelial growth factor for the improvement of heart function and angiogenesis after myocardial infarction.Cardiology. 2007; 107: 17-29
- Cell sheet engineering: a unique nanotechnology for scaffold-free tissue reconstruction with clinical applications in regenerative medicine.J Intern Med. 2010; 267: 54-70
- Material jetting. Additive manufacturing technologies: 3D printing, rapid prototyping, and direct digital manufacturing.Springer, New York, NY2015: 175-203
- An investigation of the behavior of solvent based polycaprolactone ink for material jetting.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 20852
- Biocompatible inkjet printing technique for designed seeding of individual living cells.Tissue Eng. 2005; 11: 1658-1666
- Ink jet three-dimensional digital fabrication for biological tissue manufacturing: analysis of alginate microgel beads produced by ink jet droplets for three dimensional tissue fabrication.J Imaging Sci Technol. 2008; 52 (60201-1–6)
- Predictive compensation-enabled horizontal inkjet printing of alginate tubular constructs.Manuf Lett. 2013; 1: 28-32
- Freeform inkjet printing of cellular structures with bifurcations.Biotechnol Bioeng. 2015; 112: 1047-1055
- Laser assisted bioprinting of engineered tissue with high cell density and microscale organization.Biomaterials. 2010; 31: 7250-7256
- Laser-assisted printing of alginate long tubes and annular constructs.Biofabrication. 2013; 5015002
- Overview on additive manufacturing technologies.Proc IEEE. 2017; 105: 593-612
- Powder bed fusion processes. Additive manufacturing technologies: 3D printing, rapid prototyping, and direct digital manufacturing.Springer, New York, NY2015: 107-145
- A review on powder-based additive manufacturing for tissue engineering: selective laser sintering and inkjet 3D printing.Sci Technol Adv Mater. 2015; 16033502
- Laser and electron beam additive manufacturing methods of fabricating titanium bone implants.Appl Sci. 2017; 7: 657
- Direct metal laser sintering titanium dental implants: a review of the current literature.Int J Biomater. 2014; 2014: 11
- Functionalization of biomedical Ti6Al4V via in situ alloying by Cu during laser powder bed fusion manufacturing.Materials. 2017; 10: 1154
- Selective laser melting of pure Zn with high density for biodegradable implant manufacturing.Addit Manuf. 2017; 15: 20-28
- Binder jetting. Additive manufacturing technologies: 3D printing, rapid prototyping, and direct digital manufacturing.Springer, New York, NY2015: 205-218
- Binder-jetting 3D printing and alloy development of new biodegradable Fe-Mn-Ca/Mg alloys.Acta Biomater. 2016; 45: 375-386
- Development of a new calcium phosphate powder-binder system for the 3D printing of patient specific implants.J Mater Sci: Mater Med. 2007; 18: 909-916
- Three-dimensional printing of porous polyethylene structure using water-based binders.J Biomed Mater Res B: Appl Biomater. 2006; 78B: 138-145
- Binder jetting of a complex-shaped metal partial denture framework.Addit Manuf. 2018; 21: 63-68
- Directed energy deposition processes.Additive manufacturing technologies: 3D printing, rapid prototyping, and direct digital manufacturing. Springer, New York, NY2015: 245-268
- Powder-based additive manufacturing for development of tailor-made implants for orthopedic applications.Kona Powder Part J. 2015; 32: 75-84
- Anisotropic tensile behavior of Ti–6Al–4V components fabricated with directed energy deposition additive manufacturing.Acta Mater. 2015; 87: 309-320
- Medical design: direct metal laser sintering of Ti–6Al–4V.Mater Des. 2010; 31: 3982-3988
- Accuracy of stereolithography additive casts used in a digital workflow.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 119: 580-585
- The evolution of rapid prototyping in dentistry: a review.Rapid Prototyping J. 2009; 15: 216-225
- A review on stereolithography and its applications in biomedical engineering.Biomaterials. 2010; 31: 6121-6130
- Stereolithography in oral implantology a comparison of surgical guides.Implant Dent. 2004; 13: 133-139
- An overview of additive manufacturing (3D printing) for microfabrication.Microsyst Technol. 2017; 23: 1117-1124
- Reduction of post-processing for stereolithography systems by fabrication-direction optimization.Comput-Aided Des. 2005; 37: 711-725
- Soft polymers for building up small and smallest blood supplying systems by stereolithography.J Funct Biomater. 2012; 3: 257-268
- Blood-vessel mimicking structures by stereolithographic fabrication of small porous tubes using cytocompatible polyacrylate elastomers, biofunctionalization and endothelialization.J Funct Biomater. 2016; 7: 11
- Sheet lamination processes. Additive manufacturing technologies: 3D printing, rapid prototyping, and direct digital manufacturing.Springer, New York, NY2015: 219-244
- Chapter Two – Roadmap on Additive Manufacturing Standards.in: Chua CK Wong CH Yeong WY Standards, Quality Control, and Measurement Sciences in 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing. Academic Press, 2017: 31-55
- Volumetric additive manufacturing via tomographic reconstruction.Science. 2019; 363: 1075-1079
- 3D bioprinting of vascularized, heterogeneous cell-laden tissue constructs.Adv Mater. 2014; 26: 3124-3130
- Three-dimensional bioprinting of thick vascularized tissues.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2016; 113: 3179-3184
- Bioprinting in vascularization strategies.Iran Biomed J. 2019; 23: 9-20
Kambic HE, Kantrowitz A, Sung P, eds. Vascular graft update: safety and performance 1986; Philadelphia, Penn: ASTM.
FUSION Vascular Graft: MAQUET Holding B.V. & Co. KG; 2018. Available from: www.maquet.com. Accessed November 12, 2018.
Uni-Graft® K DV: B. Braun Melsungen AG 2018, Available from:www.bbraun.com. Accessed November 12, 2018.
GORE-TEX® Vascular Grafts: W. L. Gore & Associates; 2018, Available from: www.goremedical.com. Accessed November 12, 2018.
- Dacron or PTFE for above-knee femoropopliteal bypass. A multicenter randomised study.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2007; 34: 44-49
Artegraft® Collagen Vascular Graft Bovine Carotid Artery Graft (BCA): Artegraft, Inc; 2018. Available from:www.artegraft.com. Accessed November 13, 2018.
AlboGraft® Polyester Vascular Graft: LeMaitre Vascular, Inc.; 2018. Available from: www.lemaitre.com. Accessed November 12, 2018.
- Expert-guided optimization for 3D printing of soft and liquid materials.Plos One. 2018; 13
- 3D printing PDMS elastomer in a hydrophilic support bath via freeform reversible embedding.Acs Biomater Sci Eng. 2016; 2: 1781-1786
- Three-dimensional printing of transparent fused silica glass.Nature. 2017; 544: 337
- Three-dimensional printing of hierarchical liquid-crystal-polymer structures.Nature. 2018; 561: 226-230
- Printing ferromagnetic domains for untethered fast-transforming soft materials.Nature. 2018; 558: 274-279
Conduits for Vascular Reconstruction in the Pediatric Patient WebMD LLC; 2017. Available from: emedicine.medscape.com/article/1018266-overview. Accessed November 14, 2018.
- Biomaterials for vascular tissue engineering.Regener Med. 2010; 5: 107-120
- Acellular vascular tissues: natural biomaterials for tissue repair and tissue engineering.Biomaterials. 2000; 21: 2215-2231
- Compositions including synthetic and natural blends for integration and structural integrity: engineered for different vascular graft applications.Adv Healthcare Mater. 2017; 61700001
- 3D-Printed Biodegradable Polymeric Vascular Grafts.Adv Healthcare Mater. 2016; 5: 319-325
- Preclinical study of patient-specific cell-free nanofiber tissue-engineered vascular grafts using 3-dimensional printing in a sheep model.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017; 153: 924-932
- Additive manufacturing of vascular grafts and vascularized tissue constructs.Tissue Eng B: Rev. 2017; 23: 436-450
Guidance document for vascular prostheses 510(k) submissions – guidance for industry and FDA staff: center for devices and radiological health (CDRH); 2000 [1/27/2019]. Available from: www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ucm073681.htm.
- Vein graft stenosis and the heparin responsiveness of human vascular smooth muscle cells.Circulation. 1998; 97: 2506-2510
- Heparin responsiveness in vitro as a prognostic tool for vascular graft stenosis.Circulation. 1998; 97: 2486-2490
- Heparin responses in vascular smooth muscle cells involve cGMP-dependent protein kinase (PKG).J Cell Physiol. 2014; 229: 2142-2152
- Cell and extracellular matrix rejection in arterial concordant and discordant xenografts in the rat.Transplantation. 1996; 62: 794-803
- Molecular strategies for clinical xenotransplantation in cardiothoracic surgery.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1996; 8: 156-174
- Blood vessel replacement: 50 years of development and tissue engineering paradigms in vascular surgery.Physiol Res. 2009; 58: S119-S139
- Pulsatile myocardial tubes fabricated with cell sheet engineering.Circulation. 2006; 114: I87-I93
- 96 perfusable blood vessels to study vascular permeability in vitro.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 18071
- An in vivo assay to test blood vessel permeability.J Vis Exp: JoVE. 2013; (e50062-e)
- Longitudinal ruptures of polyester knitted vascular prostheses.J Vasc Surg. 2001; 33: 1015-1021
- Disruption of the vascular prosthesis caused by aortic calcification after replacement of the thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 82: 1097-1099
- Development of a “leak-proof,” knitted Dacron vascular prosthesis.J Vasc Surg. 1986; 3: 895-903
- Experimental and clinical experience with a gelatin impregnated dacron prosthesis.Ann Vasc Surg. 1987; 1: 542-547
- Collagen versus gelatin-coated Dacron versus stretch polytetrafluoroethylene in abdominal aortic bifurcation graft surgery: results of a seven-year prospective, randomized multicenter trial.Surgery. 2001; 130: 408-414
- Sealed versus unsealed knitted dacron prostheses: a comparison of the acute phase protein response.Ann Vasc Surg. 1987; 1: 548-551
- Medical textiles as vascular implants and their success to mimic natural arteries.J Funct Biomater. 2015; 6: 500-525
- A novel nanocomposite polymer for development of synthetic heart valve leaflets.Acta Biomater. 2009; 5: 2409-2417
- Development of biocompatible synthetic extracellular matrices for tissue engineering.Trends Biotechnol. 1998; 16: 224-230
- In vitro evaluation of electrospun nanofiber scaffolds for vascular graft application.J Biomed Mater Res A. 2007; 83A: 999-1008
- Tissue engineering of autologous aorta using a new biodegradable polymer.Ann Thorac Surg. 1999; 68: 2298-2304
- The prevention and treatment of vascular graft infection with a triclosan (Irgasan)-bonded Dacron graft: an experimental study in the pig.EurJ Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2000; 20: 413-418
- Biocompatibility assessment of a new biodegradable vascular graft via in vitro co-culture approaches and in vivo model.Ann Biomed Eng. 2016; 44: 3319-3334
- Immunosuppressive drugs for kidney transplantation.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 2715-2729
- Antigen-presenting function of human endothelial cells. Direct activation of resting CD8 T cells.J Immunol. 1994; 153: 5402-5412
- Fresh venous allografts in peripheral arterial reconstruction in dogs. Effects of histocompatibility and of short-term immunosuppression with cyclosporine A and mycophenolate mofetil.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995; 110: 1732-1744
- Novel high-throughput in vitro model for identifying hemodynamic-induced inflammatory mediators of cerebral aneurysm formation.Hypertension. 2014; 64: 1306-1313
- A patient-specific intracranial aneurysm model with endothelial lining: a novel in vitro approach to bridge the gap between biology and flow dynamics.J Neurointerv Surg. 2018; 10: 306
- In vivo characterization of a new abdominal aortic aneurysm mouse model with conventional and molecular magnetic resonance imaging.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 58: 2522-2530
- Experimental models of abdominal aortic aneurysms.Open Cardiovasc Med J. 2010; 4: 221-230
- Multiple aneurysms in Dacron velour graft.Arch Surg. 1978; 113: 320-321
- Complications with the mandril-grown (Sparks) Dacron arterial graft.Am Surg. 1975; 41: 550-554
- Current strategies for the manufacture of small size tissue engineering vascular grafts.Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2018; 6: 41
- Acellular vascular grafts generated from collagen and elastin analogs.Acta Biomater. 2013; 9: 8067-8074
- Generation, endothelialization, and microsurgical suture anastomosis of strong 1-mm-diameter collagen tubes.Tissue Eng A. 2017; 23: 335-344
- In vivo experimental intracranial aneurysm models: a systematic review.Am J Neuroradiol. 2010; 31: 418-423
- A highly printable and biocompatible hydrogel composite for direct printing of soft and perfusable vasculature-like structures.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 16902
- Direct 3D bioprinting of perfusable vascular constructs using a blend bioink.Biomaterials. 2016; 106: 58-68
- 3D Bioprinting for organ regeneration.Adv Healthcare Mater. 2017; 6https://doi.org/10.1002/adhm.201601118
- Controlled NO-release from 3D-printed small-diameter vascular grafts prevents platelet activation and bacterial infectivity.ACS Biomater Sci Eng. 2019; 5: 2284-2296
- In situ detection of mycoplasma contamination in cell cultures by fluorescent Hoechst 33258 stain.Exp Cell Res. 1977; 104: 255-262
U.S. Food and Drug Administration Silver Spring: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2019. Available from: www.fda.gov. Accessed January 14, 2019.
ANSI/AAMI/ ISO 25539-1: 2003/(R)2014 Cardiovascular implants — Endovascular devices — Part 1: Endovascular prostheses Arlington, VA: Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI); 2003. Available from:my.aami.org/aamiresources/previewfiles/2553901_1404_preview.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2019.
Technical Considerations for Additive Manufactured Medical Devices: Guidance for industry and food and drug administration staff Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH); 2017. Available from: www.fda.gov/downloads/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/GuidanceDocuments/UCM499809.pdf.
Di Prima M CJ, Anderson J, Kiarashi N. FDA Webinar- Technical Considerations for Additive Manufactured Medical Devices 2018. Available from: www.fda.gov/downloads/Training/CDRHLearn/UCM592927.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2019.
- Additively manufactured medical products – the FDA perspective.3D Print Med. 2016; 2: 1
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST),
Gaithersburg, Maryland2016www.nist.gov/news-events/events/2016/06/measurement-science-roadmap-polymer-based-additive-manufacturing-3d(Available from: Accessed January 14, 2019)
- Maintaining safety and efficacy for 3D printing in medicine.3D Print Med. 2017; 3: 1
OpenStax. Anatomy & Physiology: OpenStax CNX; Available from:http://cnx.org/contents/[email protected]. Accessed February 26, 2016.
Overview over 3D printing technologies Zürich, Switzerland 2018. Available from: www.additively.com. Accessed April 9, 2019.
- Sciaky Inc., IL2019Available from: Accessed April 9, 2019)
Laminated object manufacturing, LOM Stockholm, Sweden: Manufacturing Guide Sweden AB; Available from: www.manufacturingguide.com/en/laminated-object-manufacturing-lom. Accessed April 9, 2019.